Birch George A.

George A. Birch of Montgomery, NY passed away on Sunday, August 5, 2018 at Orange Regional Medical Center, Town of Wallkill, NY.  The son of the late Arthur and Mildred Phillips Birch, he was born on August 26, 1936 in Ashokan, NY.  He was 81 years old. George was a Navy Veteran and a locomotive engineer for the Metro North in Brewster, NY.  He was also employed by the New Haven, Penn Central, Conrail and Amtrak Railroads, as well as a former member of the Rock Tavern Rod & Gun Club, an avid bowler and model railroader.

Survivors are his wife, Kathleen Sudol Birch at home; son, Michael J. Birch (Christine) of Boynton Beach, FL; daughters: Robin McPhillips (Bob) of Montgomery; Marcia Neubauer (Robert) of Walden; and Krista Marvin (Jason) of Summerfield, NC; sisters: Esther Nicklin of Newburgh and Beverly Bedell of Maybook; several beloved grandchildren, great grandchildren, nieces and nephews.  He was predeceased by his brother, Richard and great grandson, Andrew.

A visitation will be held from 2-5 PM on Wednesday, August 8th at the Gridley-Horan Funeral Home, 39 Orchard St., Walden, NY.  Funeral services will begin at 5 PM following the visitation.  Cremation will be in the Cedar Hill Crematory, Newburgh, NY.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Montgomery Fire Dept. or the Walden Humane Society.

Written by

12 Condolences to “Birch George A.”

1. David Vieira says:

Very sorry to hear of George’s passing… prayers for him and your Family.I worked with George as a Block Operator in Brewster and my Father , Al Vieira worked with him as his Conductor. A gentlemen and Professional Locomotive Engineer, all around great guy. Best to all of you. David Vieira . Metro North Engineer ( retired).

2. william colbert says:

So sorry to hear of George’s passing , we were with him in june. A real gentleman and fine Engineer, I will pray for him and his family, as I know this is a tough time for family and friends. Stay strong. BILL COLBERT–NEW YORK CENTRAL RR(retired)

3. JOSEPH PASANELLO says:

Never was there a better, more dedicated railroader than Birchy. A positive and vibrant influence, I learned a lot from him about railroading and life as a trainee, co-worker and even more as his supervisor. Prayers to all the family. God Bless and Rest Peacefully George.

4. Georgia Baker says:

Sincere condolences to Kathy and family. Prayers for peace for all.

5. Don and Theresa Brown says:

My deepest condolences to the Birch family. My thoughts & prayers with family and friends. Krista and Mike,,, peace and love from Tee and I.

6. Lynn & John Thompson & family says:

Our thoughts & prayers are with the family. They have been our friends since 1968, when my parents moved to Chandler La. George & Kathy were wonderful neighbors. The four Birch children were the best EVER & we still remain friends. We have many happy memories of many wonderful days with the Birch family. We are truly sorry for your loss.

7. Bob & Verne Thorpe says:

Our sincere condolences to the whole Birch family on your loss. We’re praying for God’s love. peace and grace at this difficult time.

8. Ty Day Sisco says:

My deepest sympathy to you all. May the happy memories and many prayers help get you through this most difficult time. Hugs to you all. SLEEP SWEETLY GEORGE.

9. Lee Wuelfing says:

To the family of George Birch,

From an old friend, Lee Wuelfing, George was a good acquaintance in bowling. Lots of fun. R.I.P.

10. Lee Wuelfing says:

To the family of George Birch,

To an old friend, George was a good acquaintance in bowling. Lots of fun. R.I.P.

11. Terumi Galante says:

Sincere condolences to the whole Birch family.
    I will be praying for all.Sincerely, Terumi Galante and family