Karlsen, Gail M.

Gail M. Karlsen of Newburgh, NY passed away on Tuesday, June 12, 018 at St. Luke’s Cornwall Hospital, Newburgh, NY.  The daughter of the late William L. and Lillian E. Baird Tompkins, she was born on October 3, 1952 in Newburgh, NY.  She was a nurse at the Harmony Christian School, Middletown, NY and formerly at St. Luke’s Hospital.

Gail is survived by her husband, Christopher G. Karlsen at home; sons: Christopher G. Karlsen, Jr and his wife, Hope of Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands and Stephen Karlsen of Newburgh; grandchildren: Gavin, Connor, Amelia, Xander, and Kinley; sister, Heather Tompkins of Hartford, CT; nieces and nephews.  She was predeceased by her sister, Kathleen Baird.

She was a devoted wife and mother and grandmother.  Her grandchildren were the joy of her life.

A visitation will be held from 4-7 PM on Friday, June 15th at the Gridley-Horan Funeral Home, 39 Orchard St., Walden, NY.  Funeral services will be held at 7 PM at the funeral home on Friday evening following the visitation.  Burial will be in the Woodlawn Cemetery, New Windsor, NY.

Written by

7 Condolences to “Karlsen, Gail M.”

1. D Asare says:

My family and I would like to send our deepest sympathy for the loss of your beloved Gail. Please find some comfort in these words at John 5:28; 29 which states ‘ All those in the memorial tombs will come out. And Isaiah 25.8 gives us the assurance that Death will be a thing of the past. So look to God during this most difficult time and continue to cherish all the memories you created together with Gail. Once again we send our deepest sympathy to your Family and will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Sincerely
    Asare Family

2. Mary Lou Muthig says:

Chris, Al and I are so very sorry for your loss. Gail was a very special person and her loss will be felt by many. Our thoughts are with you and your sons and grandchildren.
    With deep sympathy, Al and Mary Lou Muthig

3. Marianne and Lynn DeCerbo says:

Chris, Steve, and family,

We are so deeply sorry to hear about Mrs. K. She truly was a remarkable lady. We have such fond memories. Whether it was watching a softball game, hanging out at a party, wherever it was, we always had a great time. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this very difficult time. May God guide you through it.

Love,
    Marianne and Lynn

4. Lenore Busch says:

My complete sympathies to the family. I cannot believe I was so touched by a complete stranger. We became friends on Face Book, enjoyed playing word games and sharing bits of our life ventures. May you rest in the arms and light of the Lord our Savior. You will be missed Gail.

5. Leslie Odell Limoges says:

When I think of Gail, a wide grin spreads across my face – with good reason. Gail had a perpetual and contagious smile. No matter the circumstances, any moment spent in her presence somehow assured me that everything was going to be all right. Her secret? No secret at all! Gail loved God and trusted Him in all things.
    Many years ago, I worked with Gail at St. Luke’s Hospital, where I saw her skilled and compassionate side in action. I was struck then by her calm, cheerful efficiency and at how she was able to put even the most recalcitrant patients at ease.
    How wonderful it was, years later, to see Gail in her new position as school nurse at Harmony Christian School!. She loved every child who came in her door. Her positive attitude was so infectious that there were many times when my daughter (a student at Harmony) made an excuse simply to drop in to see Gail, covering her actions with the now-famous greeting, “Nurse, I think i have a fever.” And Gail was always there to offer an ear or a shoulder.
    My heart hurts that Gail is no longer here, but it rejoices that she is dancing and singing and yes, smiling at Jesus’ feet. What a gift she was!
    I pray her family can hold some sort of condolence knowing how beautifully Gail touched the lives of everyone she met.
    Good night, Nurse Lady.

6. Brian and Angela Perry Matthew says:

Our deepest sympathy and prayers of comfort for the family at this time, We fondly recall our times of laughter and her wisdom in discussing concerns. Her abiding faith was always a blessing,

7. jeanne daley says:

I was stunned to hear about Gail’s passing. She was always so happy- had smiles and giggles for everyone. My deepest sympathies to you, Chris, the boys and their families. Jeannie D